When Transylvania University’s main building burned in 1829, funds for a new one came from the bequest of James Morrison, a trustee. Kentucky architect Gideon Shryock designed the majestic Greek Revival building in 1830-34. With its six massive Doric columns and pediment, it is an outstanding example of classical architecture. During the Civil War, Federal troops used the building as a hospital. Designated as a National Register Landmark, Old Morrison today is used as the administration building for Transylvania University. It also houses the crypt of one of Transylvania’s notable faculty members, botanist Constantine Samuel Rafinesque. In the hall beyond the main entrance to the building hang portraits of many distinguished trustees, professors, and alumni, including Gen. George Rogers Clark, Gov. Isaac Shelby, Henry Clay, Cassius M. Clay, Gen. John Hunt Morgan, and James Lane Allen.