Mt. Hope was built in 1819 for General John McCalla, an attorney and editor of The Kentucky Gazette, the first newspaper west of the Alleghenies. Built in the Federal style, it has fluted window frames with carved corner blocks and Flemish bond brickwork. A rear fanlight doorway, along with the enlargement to the rear of the home, was carried out in 1841. Benjamin Gratz, a successful hemp manufacturer, bought the house in 1824. His descendants lived there for 160 years until the house was sold in 1985.